Persistent organic pollutants (POPs): how to notify a stockpile – GOV.UK

We use some essential cookies to make this website work.
We’d like to set additional cookies to understand how you use GOV.UK, remember your settings and improve government services.
We also use cookies set by other sites to help us deliver content from their services.
You can change your cookie settings at any time.
Find information and services
Search for a department and find out what the government is doing
Departments, agencies and public bodies
News stories, speeches, letters and notices
Detailed guidance, regulations and rules
Reports, analysis and official statistics
Consultations and strategy
Data, Freedom of Information releases and corporate reports
Updated 1 April 2022

© Crown copyright 2022
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email:
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at
There are strict controls on certain chemical substances that can harm the environment or human health.
Use this notification form if you are storing (have a stockpile of) more than 50kg of material that is made up of or that contains any concentration of one or more POPs, for which there is an allowed use.
The manufacture, sale and use of products containing POPs are banned. You can only use material or products that contain POPs if your use is exempt. See the guide Using POPs for details of substances classified as POPs and exceptions to the ban.
You are responsible for knowing if your material contains POPs and if you have a legal use for it. To find out if the materials you deal with contain POPs (and if so, what the concentration is) you could:
You must store all POPs, including waste, safely. See the guide Storing POPs.
In England you must notify the Environment Agency if both of the following apply to your POPs stockpile:
You do not need to tell the Environment Agency if you are storing less than 50kg of POP-containing material or products.
Any material that contains a POP counts towards your 50kg limit – it does not matter how low the concentration of POP is.
If you take material out of storage to use it, it still counts towards your 50kg limit, as long as it remains within your business.
For example, if you take material containing perfluorooctane sulfonic acid (PFOS) out of storage to use in a manufacturing process, the material still counts towards your 50kg limit if you carry out the manufacturing process within your business. It does not count towards your 50kg limit, if you supply the material to another business that carries out the manufacturing process.
When a new substance becomes regulated as a POP, you must notify your exempt stockpile to the Environment Agency within 12 months of the date the regulation comes into force.
You must renew your stockpile notification every 12 months. There is no charge to notify POPs stockpiles.
You can use our form to notify your POPs stockpile.
In part 1 you will need to fill in the following information:
In part 2a you will need to give a breakdown of the total POPs stockpile. You need to give us information about each material you hold that contains a different POP substance or different concentration of the same substance.
In part 2b you need to tell us your reasons for holding the stockpile. You must show that each material is covered by an exemption or is not restricted.
There are some allowed uses that apply to all POPs substances. Find these uses in Article 4 of Regulation (EU) No 2019/1021 of the European Parliament and of the Council on Persistent Organic Pollutants (recast), referred to in this guidance as the retained EU POPs Regulation.
There are specific exemptions for production, placing on the market and using banned POPs substances. Find these in Annex 1 of the retained EU POPs Regulation, as amended up to 31 December 2020.
If the stockpile does not have a permitted use, it is waste. You cannot notify POPs waste. You must dispose of it in an allowed way .
In Part 2c you must show what measures you take to prevent POPs releasing into the environment.
If any material in your POPs stockpile is located in England, send your notification to the Environment Agency’s Chemical Compliance Team.
You can post your notification to:
Chemical Compliance Team
Waste and Industry Regulatory Service
Environment Agency
Quadrant 2
99 Parkway Avenue
S9 4WF

To ask about notifying a POPs stockpile or for general advice on POPs you can:
call our National Customer Contact Centre on 03708 506 506 – ask to speak to a member of the Chemical Compliance Team
See the Environment Agency’s Enforcement and Sanctions policy for how we carry out enforcement activity for environmental offences and breaches.
See how we can respond to POPs Regulations offences.
Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.
To help us improve GOV.UK, we’d like to know more about your visit today. We’ll send you a link to a feedback form. It will take only 2 minutes to fill in. Don’t worry we won’t send you spam or share your email address with anyone.


Tinggalkan Balasan

Alamat email Anda tidak akan dipublikasikan. Ruas yang wajib ditandai *